You don’t need a whole mountain, a snowboard, and snowboarding skills to stay healthy during December! Working out during the holidays can be a challenge, as there are often so many tempting treats, distractions and temptations. However, with a little planning and discipline, (perhaps some help from your friendly, neighborhood personal trainer) it is possible to make healthy choices and maintain a balanced diet even during the festive season. Here are some tips for eating healthy and staying fit during the holidays:
- Plan ahead: Before heading to a holiday party or gathering, take a few minutes to plan what you will eat. Consider bringing a healthy dish to share, or offering to bring a vegetable tray or fruit platter. This will ensure that there are healthy options available for you to enjoy.
- Don’t skip meals: It can be tempting to skip meals in anticipation of a big holiday feast, but this can actually make it harder to make healthy choices. Instead, eat regular, balanced meals throughout the day to keep your hunger in check and prevent overeating at the holiday meal.
- Focus on vegetables: Vegetables are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, and they can help fill you up without adding a lot of calories. Make sure to include plenty of vegetables in your holiday meals, either as a side dish or mixed into your main course.
- Limit added sugars: Many holiday treats, such as cookies, cakes, and candies, are high in added sugars, which can contribute to weight gain and other health problems. Try to limit your intake of these types of foods, and opt for healthier options like fruit or unsweetened yogurt instead.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is important for maintaining good health, and it can also help you feel full and prevent overeating. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, and try to limit your intake of sugary drinks like soda and punch.
- Set realistic goals: The holidays can be a busy time, so it’s important to set realistic goals for your workouts. Instead of trying to fit in long, intense workouts every day, aim for shorter, more manageable sessions that can be easily incorporated into your schedule.
- Make a plan: In order to stick to your workout routine, you need to have a plan. This can include scheduling specific times for your workouts, setting reminders, and planning ahead for potential obstacles or distractions.
- Vary your workouts: Mixing up your workouts can help keep things interesting and prevent boredom. Try different types of exercise, such as running, cycling, strength training, or yoga, to challenge your body in new ways and avoid hitting a fitness plateau. This is where a personal trainer can come in handy to create varied workouts tailored to you!
- Use the holidays to your advantage: The holidays can provide unique opportunities for exercise, such as going for a walk to see holiday lights or playing sports with family and friends. Embrace these opportunities and make the most of them to stay active and fit.
- Be consistent: Consistency is key when it comes to maintaining a fitness routine. Even if you can’t stick to your usual workout schedule, try to fit in some form of physical activity every day, whether it’s a short walk, a yoga session, or a quick workout at home. A personal trainer can help motivate you and keep you accountable.
By following these tips, you can stay fit and healthy during the holiday season. Remember to be realistic and flexible with your fitness goals, mindful of your food choice, and to listen to your body and adjust your workouts and meals accordingly. With a little effort and dedication, you can maintain your fitness routine and enjoy a healthy and happy holiday season. Let us build a flexible program designed to keep you accountable and motivated during the festive times of the year. We are here to talk to you, push you through your workouts, and keep you moving!
Our personal trainers meet you at your level of fitness – and build you up from there! They will challenge you and push you further than you would go yourself, or even with the help of your family or friends. Making this commitment can help you to stay accountable, maintain motivation and reach your fitness goals. Let us build a program designed to challenge you and have fun while on the way to your goals. We are here to talk to you, push you through your workouts, and keep you moving! Isn’t it time to invest in yourself? Book Now to schedule your complimentary Assessment + Workout + Stretch